Batik Resist Technique
White, yellow & orange cardstock
White mulberry paper
Watercolor paint - tubes of paint are best
Clear embossing powder
2 Foam Brush
Spray bottle, filled with water
Sun goddess stamp (Fairie Song)
1. Using embossing ink, stamp sun goddess 3 times across the mulberry paper.
2. Cover with embossing powder and heat to emboss. Be sure all parts of the images have a shiny finish.
3. Place the mulberry paper on the plastic side of the freezer paper. Wet the mulberry paper thoroughly with the spray bottle of water.
4. Dampen the foam brush and squeeze yellow watercolor across the bottom edge of the brush.
5. Paint the lower third of the mulberry paper with the yellow paint.
6. Rinse the foam brush and squeeze orange watercolor across the bottom edge of the brush.
7. Paint the middle section of the mulberry paper with the orange paint. Let the color bleed into the yellow paint. Randomly dab some orange into the yellow section of color.
8. Rinse the foam brush and squeeze red watercolor across the bottom edge of the brush.
9. Paint the top section of the mulberry paper with the red paint. Let it bleed into the orange paint. Randomly dab some red into the other sections of color.
10. While the paper is still wet, gently tear a feathered edge at the top and bottom. Set aside to dry.
11. When the mulberry paper is dry, place it between two sheets of plain newsprint
and iron slowly to melt and remove embossing powder. Remove the paper quickly while it is still hot to avoid sticking and replace with clean sheets of newsprint. Repeat until all of the embossing powder is gone. Areas will look matte clear when the powder is gone.
12. Trim a piece of white cardstock slightly larger than the mulberry paper to use as a mat. Adhere the mulberry paper to the mat. White cardstock is best, because it helps to deepen the white of the batik images through the mulberry paper.
13. Trim a piece of yellow cardstock slightly larger than the white cardstock. Adhere the white cardstock to the yellow cardstock.
14. Cut two pieces of gold wire. Add several seed beads to each piece of wire and gently shape the wire.
15. Curve one piece of wire around the upper left hand corner of the cardstock. Secure it to the back of the cardstock with tape. Curve the second piece of wire around the lower
right hand corner of the cardstock. Secure it to the back of the cardstock with tape. Secure the beads to the front of the cardstock with glue, if desired.
16. Adhere the yellow cardstock to an orange card.